Fourteen Eastern Shore Republicans have applied to fill the District 36 Senate seat of Senate Minority Leader E.J. Pipkin, who resigned as of August 12 and is moving to Texas.Five have been mentioned in previous stories, including Dels. Mike Smigiel of Cecil County and Steve Hershey of Queen Anne’s County, who have been political allies.
The members of the Republican central committees of the four counties in the district — Cecil, Caroline, Kent and Queen Anne’s — must now vote. Under the Maryland constitution, each county gets one vote to send a name to the governor for appointment.
The four central committees, with a total of 32 members, are expected to vote this week.
The candidates who have submitted their applications and resumes are:
- Steven Arentz, current president of Queen Anne’s County Board of commissioners;
- R. Scott Bramble, Cecil County, president of an insurance agency;
- Frank Frohn, Queen Anne’s County, ran for commissioner in 2010;
- John L. Graham, Queen Anne’s County;
- Stephen S. Hershey, Jr., Queen Anne’s County, first-term delegate;
- Andrew Langer, Queen Anne’s County, president of D.C.-based Institute for Liberty and Red Maryland podcast host;
- Timothy McCluskey, Queen Anne’s County, a member of the Centreville Town Council;
- Audrey Scott, Queen Anne’s County, former chair of the Maryland Republican Party;
- Michael Smigiel, Sr., Cecil County, three-term delegate and attorney;
- Richard A. Sossi, Queen Anne’s County, former delegate and current aide to Rep. Andy Harris;
- Robert A. Thornton, Jr. Caroline County, last resident delegate from the county, elected as a Democrat;
- John L. Walter, Queen Anne’s County;
- John J. Walton, Jr., Caroline County;
- Eric S. Wargotz, physician, for Republican nominee for U.S. Senate and Queen Anne’s County commissioner.